Header

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Memorial March Re-cap

After one evening without electricity and then two days without internet, I'm back to give a little rundown of the 24 km hike through the Ardennes Forest honoring the 82nd Airborne. I took a bunch of photos. Here's some of the highlights. 


What in this photo doesn't belong? You may notice there's about 60 years different between the uniforms on the right and the one of the left. The day was filled with old and new.


And mud, lots of rain and mud. Note to self, don't wear long pants next time. And yes, there will be a next time. Apparently I'm a glutton for punishment.


A local lady shaking hands with a current US solider. She showed him what she had in her bag- perhaps offering a gift? The Belgium people seemed so generous. After the walk, I saw a guy eating a waffle and I gave a weird look and a chuckle because I thought, "haha, what a stereotype... a Belgium walking around eating a Belgium waffle." He saw me look at him funny and he offered his waffles to me and the two people I was with. And it was SO good! I should give funny looks to people more often I guess. 




I know what you're thinking, door shots are so trite. But whatevs... I thought this house was way too cute. Most of the houses in the Bastogne area were made of stone, both old and new.

My favorite moments were when a current German solider started randomly singing "The Bear Necessities" from The Jungle Book, which I tried to get on video. Also a British re-enacter asked my friend (rather suggestively) to feel his mortar, and she replied, "Oh my gosh!" because it was so heavy. The British group, being dressed in US solider reenactment uniforms, were giving orders with accents, complete with British-isms like "Cheerio" and "Rubbish."

If you're interested, there's several of these sorts of hikes throughout the year. I know there's a march in December honoring the 101st Airborne, but the length is much shorter. I think you can choose between a 6 km and a longer one. There's also one in the summer that 120 km- that's 40 km in three days. I won't be doing that one.

5 comments:

  1. The hike sounds like so much fun. The nice and short one of course. I really liked all the pictures you took and the stories that come with them. And what a great advice about looking at people funny to get food. hahah I laughed out loud to that one. I am going to give it a try tomorrow... Pretty sure I won't get food in return though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your photos -- the forest looks so beautiful and the hike sounds like so much fun! I would totally go to Germany just to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And by Germany ... I meant France. *facepalm* I can't believe I said that and I'm a history major!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol.... Belgium actually :-) It's ok, we were like a half hour from both the French and German borders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to do that!! A friend of mine lives up/over there. I swear I gotta get to it soon, another year and a half and I'll have to start figuring out what's interesting to see in the US again...

    ReplyDelete