Header

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Blizzard Blog Hop- the real deal

Thanks to Miss Household6Diva for hosting!

I'm going all Euro with the scarf.

My name is Laurie, and I hail from the great state of Wisconsin, and may I remind you that the Badgers went to the Rose Bowl this year and the Packers are headed to the Super Bowl! When you've lived 30 min. from Green Bay most of your life and went to the University of Wisconsin, it's hard not to be a fan!

Like I said, I went to UW-Madison where I majored in Dairy Science and Agricultural Journalism. Yes, I always have to explain this one. At the Outback Bowl one year, a drunken Georgia fan yelled at us band members: "What do you major in Wisconsin- cows?!" I couldn't answer... haha. Oh yeah, and my husband and I are total band nerds. We marched next to each other an entire year before he asked me out on a date.

This was before my future husband had enough guts to ask me out. I think his spats are sexy.

If you couldn't tell, I grew up in a dairy farm and I love telling people about agriculture. I try not to be "crazy cow girl" though. I'm the oldest of six kids, and I love coming from a big family. We're a fun bunch of goof-balls.

The barn. 

Growing up, I had also been the stable, reasonable child, but the past two years I've given my parents quite a few grey hairs. At first, I announced I was quiting my career of three years and going to New Zealand to work. Then right before I left, my boyfriend of 3 years and I eloped.

With Craig being in the military and the uncertainty of deployments, I decided to return to the US to spend time as newlyweds. We had an affirmation ceremony and reception on May 29th, 2010 (wow, I originally wrote August, then July... obviously I'm not one of those wives that gets on their husband's case about remembering dates).


My husband Craig and I live in Germany and we love it here! I feel much more at home here than I did when we lived in Georgia for a year. I'm of German decent and love learning about my roots. I'm currently taking German classes four hours a day, five days a week (yikes!) and trying to be a good housewife. I'm a pretty decent cook, but my husband folds laundry better than me. Guess ya can't be good at everything.

Obviously we don't have kids yet (or I would have mentioned them paragraphs ago, haha).

My husband and I on a search for our next big adventure perhaps?

I guess non-vital statistic stuff- I like tooling around for hours on the internet, saving money (ie being stingy), being a homesteader (I knit, can food, grow a garden, and I make my own sauerkraut, broth, and granola bars among other little projects, listening to all sorts of music, both cooking and eating new foods, singing karaoke, and dancing (of the non-grinding/hoochie variety).

I blog mostly about our European adventures and keep my family up to date on what's going on in our lives.

Whoa... sorry that got so long. Thanks for putting up with me!

26 comments:

  1. Hey lady!!!!!! So glad to see you! We really do need to get together sometime! So glad you're loving Germany. I follow you (of course I do!) but i wanted to give you some Blizzard Love! Happy Hopping, Love & Hugs! Shauna @ Planting Shade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how fun all of your pics are! Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Laurie! I love your blog. I was raised in Pennsylvania (and my town is known as Cow Town by the rival high school) and my family is very Dutch/German, too! Also, major props for studying German. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Germany is a far ways from the Midwest. I'm jealous, but I bet you are having the time of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved reading all about you, thanks for sharing. And the wedding photos are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I found you on the blog hop and now Im following you! Please check out my blog and follow me, http://toesthattwinkle.blogspot.com/ I also wanted to say how much I love your blog and reading the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Laurie! Nice to meet you! You are of course, eligible to win, it doesn't matter who you are, or what you do! =)
    You have some great pics, I am following you now! I love making new friends!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to meet you! My dad's family lives near madison that is so cool! I love your pics and the title of your blog made me giggle. See you around!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for stopping by my blog today. I'm glad to have "met" you. I really enjoyed reading about you and your life. Great pictures!
    God bless you and happy hopping!

    -Stacie @ No Idle Bread

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yayy I am so happy to meet another milspouse living over here in Germany! I know you will love it here as we all do. You definitely have to put Heidelberg on your list it is stunning and so many things to do. Just be sure to send me an email before you come and I would more then happy to reccomend a restaurant or two and give you directions if needed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there! Another Milspouse in Germany! How fun, I can't wait to see pics when you get your DSLR. I love mine, of course the "For Dummies" book is helping me out. I agree with Fam4, Heidelberg is gorgeous! We're in the Bavaria neck of the woods, LOVE it here. Looking forward to perusing your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. First off, I love your wedding photos! How cute! I am in Germany too, and am having the time of my life! How fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it's safe to say I will be following your blog! I was a total band geek in high school, myself, and I miss it a lot! We're also stationed in Germany, just PCS'd in from Italy, and I think it's awesome that you've got the time with your husband that you do for your adventures! I've got a 5 year old and a 4 year old, and it makes exploring a lot more complicated when you've got small kids with you! I also knit (and crochet and bead and just started weaving), so it's nice to see another crafter amongst the ranks of military wives. :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband was a band geek, too. :-) Now he's a computer geek. I love it.

    Hallee

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a gal after my own heart! I am from Green Bay, WI, well, actually Allouez. But most people haven't heard of that little town. ;) I'm actually contacting you because I LOVE your writing style and would like for you to consider contributing an essay to my project. More info: http://militaryspousebooks.blogspot.com, and the FB page "Military Spouse Books". Go, PACKERS!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that you are going Euro with the scarf! Only here do you see that! Have DH bring you back some nice scarves...I think I have about 35 from down there, you know where....thanks for stopping by on the Bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your intro was great (not too long!) I don't get on my husband about dates either I always say we were married the 21st but really it was the 23rd! You seem like such a great person (except for that whole Green Bay thing LOL). Stopped by from the Blizzard Bloghop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Stopping by from the Blizzard Bloghop! :]

    I live in Green Bay so I can completely understand where you are coming from with the Packers!

    Also, your pictures are AMAZING! I love the picture of you two jumping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, stopping by from the Blizzard Bloghop, and I'm following your blog now! I was band nerd in high school, and I think it's awesome that you're learning German. I'd love to study German.

    ReplyDelete
  20. (P.S. This is smiley-netta coming back...I've moved from LiveJournal to Blogger...just in case you weren't aware and had the desire to follow me at all!) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww, a kindred spirit for UW & the Packers. So excited about the SB! Can't wait to read more about your life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello via the blog hop! You have a very cute blog!
    -Anastasia @ http://wildbluewonders.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm glad I'm not the only one upset over travel plans. Eh...what are you going to do? If it's not the Army messing stuff up, it's rioting. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I know I'm late, but I'm visiting from the Blizzard blog hop. I'm a mil spouse too, and I love finding other mil spouses out there in the blogosphere. Nice to meet you!!

    Wife on the Roller Coaster
    http://www.ridingtherollercoaster.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Blog hopping today and am your newest follower. I hope that 1 of my blogs interests you too.

    http://tawnasplan.blogspot.com
    http://btrbb.blogspot.com
    http://tawnassecret.blogspot.com

    I also do a weekend blog hop, you can link up on http://tawnasplan.blogspot.com open every Friday-Sunday!
    Thanks
    Tawna

    ReplyDelete