Header

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Ruminations on Photography

I really would like to take better pictures. The world is a beautiful place and I've seen some amazing things. Some day when I'm old and senile, I'd like to have some good pictures to look at to remind me what a hell of a ride it's been.
Obviously, my photos are point and shoot, and most are straight out of the camera. The blog world is full of beautiful photos taken with fancy DSLR cameras. So I got to thinking- do people take these awesome pictures because they own awesome cameras, or do they have actual talent/practice at taking pictures? Or, do they buy the expensive camera, and that forces them to work hard at becoming a decent photographer? Or are they just awesome at digital editing and Photoshop?

I told Craig I wanted a fancy DSLR camera for Christmas. We're talking $600 plus here. I wonder if it'll make a difference in my photos. Or maybe by carrying around a huge-ass camera, I'll feel like a photographer and get all into it. Hey, fake it 'til ya make it, right?

On a side note, I'm super excited that I have 35 followers on my blog! Thanks everyone for checking this out.

4 comments:

  1. I got my first DSLR about 2 years ago and I still have yet to really learn how to use it... a really great book that is really good at explaining things is "Understanding Exposure" :) I'm perfectly happy with my Nikon D60 and even though it's not the newer model, I really like it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got a really great camera for around $300 and my pictures definitely improved. I don't ever photoshop my pics, I'm too lazy... err, BUSY, but the camera made a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear. I'd hate to spend all that extra money and my pictures not really improve any. My current camera is a bit older, so there's not much zoom capability, so I get some really shaky pictures when zoomed up close.

    For sure, I'll have to get some books or something. I've been reading up on the internet, but it's a lot to remember when you're out and about taking pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I am BRAND spanking new to your blog, and it is funny this is the first post I read. My husband JUST bought me a new DSLR camera from cannon....about $750. I had been wanting one when we were pregnant, saying I wanted really good pictures, but we lost our daughter in April, and obviously that got put on the back burner. So then I started writing as part of my therapy, and I found myself wanting beautiful pictures. I have an eye, but our camera SUCKS!!!! So after much begging, i got one (should be here by friday!!!) he said it is my birthday, anniversary and christmas gift....sucks they are all in a 1.5 month time span...lol. best part, one his guys is also a professional photographer in his pare time, so offered to give me free lessons!! (check out the pic at the top of my blog to see his work) i am so excited!!!
    journeyoflifeandluv.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete