Header

Monday, October 4, 2010

Birthday Dinner

Craig and I ate at Ölmühle Resturant in Landstuhl for his birthday. The hotel & restaurant has a really neat history that you can read on their website. As someone from the midwest United States, I find all these 300 year old and older buildings fascinating.

Craig had the steak and I had the wild duck. The food was good, the service wonderful. My only criticism is that the pomegranate sauce was a little strange for my tastes, but other than that, I would recommend it for a nice, more higher class dinner. Well, it's high class for us anyway. And we were the youngest people in the restaurant by far, which goes to show we're just a classy young couple. :-)

I spent several hours at the grocery store today. It's fun to see new foods and figure out what they are. I'm looking for a traditional German cookbook written in German, because they would be true to the ingredients you find in local stores. I'm not having any luck, probably because these are recipes that are passed down and are just so basic. I did find a few in English at the bookstore on-post, but I'm not sure if they modify the recipes to fit grocery stores in the US. I want authenitic, darnit! Craig says I sound just like Julia Child... in his best imitation: "There are no good German cookbooks in English!" Huummm, maybe he's on to something there... however, I don't think becoming a famous German cooking chef is in the cards...

Also, I'm trying to figure out how to make the salad dressing I keep eating at restaurants. The salads here are so good! I tried one recipe I found online which was a total failure. Milk, vinegar, and honey just didn't seem to work for me.

Speaking of new foods to try, I found this at the store today:

Mmmm... horse sausage. Don't be grossed out; you should be thanking me- I uploaded a small image so your computer wasn't taken over by sausage. The funny thing is, blogger decided to flip the photo on it's side, and the brats looked a little... um... phallic... so I cropped it. I'll let you know how it tastes, but I bet they add enough pork fat in it that it will taste delicious.

1 comment: