Header

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Thoughts on Unemployment

I haven't had a job since October. It's been a long time. But I'm going to tell you a secret.

Sometimes I actually enjoy not having a job.

Yeah, yeah, sometimes it's downright boring, I feel like my brain is turning into mush most days, and I've become extremely inefficient with my tasks. But I love being able to have time to cook from scratch, take time to really meal plan and find the best deals, do crafts, and being there for people when they need someone. When I worked, I liked sneaking away early to get things done around the home. Ok, so it sounds like I'm taking a step back in the whole women's lib and equality thing, but anytime I was at work, I wished I was at home either doing a DYI project, canning, gardening, whatever.

My husband, on the other hand, had a terrible time while unemployed a couple years ago. I think he found emasculating that I was making the money and paying for everything. He stayed holed up in the computer room, never helped around the house, and drank more.

I don't mind that he makes all the money now. I let him know if I'm going to make a big purchase, and show him anything I buy that might be an extra, including my spiffy $7 Wal-mart workout shorts I bought yesterday. Someday, I'm sure I'll be like my mom, who has raised six kids at home for the last 26 years, and will want to be purposeful and use her talents. She jokes every once in awhile, "You kids make me brain dead." I can understand her point, but for now, I'm alright with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment